Diploma of Counselling
Open Colleges is the new name for Cengage Education, and is Australia's oldest and most respected provider of Online and distance education courses. We deliver over 130 online and distance education courses, including an extensive range of nationally recognised Certificates and Diplomas.
The Open Colleges difference:
- Nationally accredited: This ensures your qualification is recognised by industry around Australia.
- Start today! Open Colleges courses offer you ultimate flexibility. There is no need to attend classes at a campus or wait for an intake or start date. You can start your course whenever it suits you!
- Study from home at your own pace: You can study from home at your own pace. You can a choose to receive your learning materials by mail or online.
- Benefit from 100 years of history: Open Colleges has been delivering distance education to Australians for more than 100 years. Join over 700,000 Australians who have studied with Open Colleges. Unlike many other institutions, we are specialists in distance learning.
- We help you to succeed: Open Colleges provides you with comprehensive support throughout your studies. From access to ‘OpenSpace’ — our online learning portal — to support from experienced tutors, we help you every step of the way.
- Affordable fees: Open Colleges provides you with a range of different payment plan options. You can pay upfront and get a discount on your fees or you can choose to pay by instalment – including weekly, fortnightly and monthly options.
- Articulation opportunities: Once you have completed this course, you may receive credit if you wish to pursue further education.
This is a popular course so we recommend that you enrol as soon as possible to secure your place.
Take a significant step towards a rewarding career in the fast-growing counselling profession with this nationally recognised qualification.
The Diploma of Counselling CHC51708 provides a range of skills required to undertake general counselling work, communicate effectively at a high level, refer clients and work within a case-management framework. It is also ideal for professionals in HR and other areas where counselling skills are highly valued, as the distance learning format allows you to complete the course at your own pace.
With guidance from an experienced trainer, access to high-quality learning materials and a work placement for practical experience and industry contacts, you could be ready to pursue counselling work in as little as 12 months – or even open your own practice.Potential jobs:
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be eligible to apply for membership of the Australian Community Counselling Association.
Open Colleges (formerly Cengage Education), Australia's leading distance education provider, has partnered with Integrated Care & Management Training (ICMT) to promote and provide access to the Diploma of Counselling CHC51708, which is delivered through distance education.
ICMT (National Provider Code 90197) is a leading provider of education and training in the Health and Community Services sectors. ICMT is distinguished by its up-to-date courses, designed in partnership with industry, and its outstanding student and graduate outcomes.
Equipment: Students will need access to a digital video camera and related software to record some of the assessment tasks.
- Higher School Certificate or equivalent OR
- relevant qualifications (at Certificate III or above) OR
- relevant vocational experience AND
- relevant life experience.
Minimum age of 18 years.
Students will need access to a computer and the internet. For students who do not have access to either a computer or the internet please contact a course and careers adviser to discuss alternative methods of communication.
Minimum specifications for the computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2003 or equivalent and
- Microsoft Windows 2000 or Mac OS X and
- CD-ROM drive.
Students will also need access to a printer and the following applications:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader and
- Macromedia Flash player.
English language requirementsIf English is your second language and you did not complete the last two years of secondary education in English, you are required to provide evidence of English language competency before enrolling into the course. Examples of appropriate evidence are listed below:
|IELTS||Overall score of 5.5|
|TOEFL||530 (paper), 197 (computer) or 71 (internet)|
|12 months in English-speaking employment||Testimonial, statutory declaration|
Open Colleges will endeavour to provide additional assistance to students who experience difficulties with language, literacy and numeracy.
Students will be required to undertake 200 hours of work placement. Students will be required to demonstrate their skills according to the units of competency they are studying.
National Criminal Record Check: Prior to commencing work placement, students willl be required to undertake a Criminal Record Check (CRC) to obtain a National Police Certificate.
Commission for Children and Young People Student Declaration: Before commencing work placement, students will be required to sign a CCYP Student Declaration form, which they must provide to the state public health facility. This form declares that the student is not prohbited from working with children and young people.
Keywords: counselling, mediation, consellor